The Southern Sustainable Agriculture Working Group (Southern SAWG) is seeking a full time, self-motivated, highly organized and tech savvy Outreach and Development Director to shape the organization’s messaging and build a strong plan for long term funding development. Southern residence is required for the successful candidate.
The Southern Sustainable Agriculture Working Group has been one of the lead organizations working for the past 26 years to foster a more sustainable food and agriculture system throughout the Southern region—one that yields dignity and economic viability for farmers and farm workers and provides safe and secure food for all, produced in harmony with nature. Our annual conference is attended by more than 1,000 farmers and farmer advocates from across the country. Southern SAWG links more than 150 organizations and thousands of individuals throughout the 13 states of AL, AR, FL, GA, KY, LA, MS, NC, OK, SC, TN, TX and VA. Southern SAWG is administratively centered in Fayetteville, Arkansas. However a majority of the staff and contractors operate out of their home offices in the region.
The Outreach and Development Director Position was developed to support SSAWG in the updating and streamlining of the marketing, communications, and outreach of the organization to increase the organization’s capacity for reaching it mission and connecting with supporters.
Outreach—Shape, manage and implement an effective outreach and communication campaign to educate our constituencies about Southern SAWG’s mission, goals and programs and to cultivate support for this work.
- Develop and implement cost-effective and engaging marketing and outreach strategies to communicate to our constituencies through printed and electronic media.
- Further develop brand and our social media presence posting and “personality” and post strategically to our channels using Southern SAWG’s social media best practices; working with staff to unify and coordinate social media and messaging efforts.
- Develop and implement an effective marketing campaign for the annual Southern SAWG conference with support from Conference Communications Coordinator.
- Create, write, edit and produce press releases, publications, videos, exhibits and printed materials including an annual report and the Southern SAWG’s e-newsletter.
- Update and maintain the organization’s website.
- Manage an editorial calendar to schedule & organize timely and relevant communication.
- Monitor and analyze communications activities and make adjustments as necessary.
- Spearhead re-branding efforts and the creation of a branding guide for the organization in support of the strategic planning process.
Funding Development—Shape, manage and drive the implementation of a successful fundraising strategy to support organizational and project development needs including:
- In coordination with Southern SAWG’s Funding Development Committee, develop and manage an annual Funding plan for the organization that includes outreach to individuals, foundations, federal agencies, and corporations.
- Manage the sponsorship for the Annual Conference including the sponsorship packet, sponsor solicitation, and managing sponsor benefits.
- In coordination with Southern SAWG program staff, write and/or assist with grant proposals to organizations identified in annual funding plan.
- Direct the production of annual fundraising events and appeals.
- Establish recognition, acknowledgements and incentives for donors and volunteers.
- In coordination with the Southern SAWG Executive Assistant, utilize Salesforce workflow management system to plan, implement and evaluate specific funding development programs and campaigns
- Demonstrated ability to effectively use communications technology and social media
- Demonstrated fundraising and/or sponsorship skills and history
- Excellent written and verbal communication and storytelling skills
- Strong editing and proofreading skills
- Strong organizational skills and ability to manage multiple projects and tasks
- An eye for good graphic design; experience working with graphic designers
- Excellent computer skills in Word and Excel
- Ability to work as part of a virtual team out of your personally equipped home office
- Ability to attend annual Southern SAWG conference held in mid-to-late January
- Interest and/or experience in sustainable agriculture; knowledge of farming issues
- 2-3 years’ experience and a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree, preferably with a communications focus
- Desktop publishing experience. Adobe Creative Suite; Photoshop, InDesign, Premiere
- Experience working in Constant Contact and Squarespace
- Experience with Salesforce database
- Video and podcast experience a plus
- Some knowledge of html a plus
$40-45,000 base salary plus paid holidays, vacation, sick and parental leave with annual performance bonus.
Please submit cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Candidates selected for interview will be requested to provide references and a portfolio of writing samples and marketing campaigns. Application deadline is December 1, 2017. We look to fill the position by early January of 2018.